OTTAWA, ON: With the rapidly escalating situation with the Omicron variant and the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Skate Canada has made several difficult decisions in respect of The Canadian Tire National Skating Championships (CTNSC) scheduled to take place from January 6-13, 2022, at TD Place Arena in Ottawa, ON.
- No live audience will be permitted in the TD Arena for the CTNSC. This means all purchased tickets will be refunded. Only essential accredited people will be allowed in the facility. TD Place will notify each ticket holder, via email, and will process refunds by January 15, 2022.
- The Senior Event will run as planned. However, the Gala, scheduled for Sunday, January 9, 2022, has been cancelled.
- Media access will be available virtually. Information will be released to accredited media once available.
- The Junior Event will run, however changes to the planned schedule may be necessary. An updated schedule will be released in due course.
- The Novice Event will be postponed and will be rescheduled to a later date.
In a joint statement, Skate Canada President, Karen Butcher, and CEO Debra Armstrong commented:
“The health and safety of all participants in the Championships is of paramount importance. We understand this is disappointing for our fans and stakeholders. However, our priority is to preserve the competitions necessary for the selection of teams for the Olympic Winter Games and ISU Championship events.”
Skate Canada appreciates the ongoing support from the figure skating community. The event will be available via live stream on CBC.ca.