Volunteer for Events
Perhaps the most striking feature of Skate Canada’s organizational structure is its reliance on volunteers. All members of the Board, the Sections and Committees receive no payment for their contribution to Skate Canada. Similarly, the judges, referees and other officials are all volunteers and as such, receive no remuneration for their hard work and dedication. Each year at the ACGM, the commitment and dedication of volunteers is recognized at a Volunteer Awards celebration.
Volunteering: How to become a Volunteer!
Skate Canada Events are a fantastic way to build your volunteer portfolio and gain experience working at national and international sporting events. Skate Canada Event volunteers will fill a variety of roles both on and off the ice helping to create a memorable experience for event participants.
All volunteer recruitment will be done online through our online application system. Important Note: Skate Canada has implemented a new system for the online volunteer applications for the upcoming season’s events. Even if you have volunteered with us previously, we will need you to re-enter all the required data into the new system.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Volunteers are requested to be available for the entire period of the event they are applying for, in addition to the set-up and tear-down days.
- Volunteer roles are varied and thus some areas may require volunteers for the entire duration, while others will begin later in the week. The more flexible your availability, the more volunteer options that may be available.
- A normal volunteer day will be six to eight hours, including breaks.
- Must be a minimum of 15 years of age or older by the start date of set-up for the specific event. Some exceptions apply for specific positions (i.e. flower retrievers, ice patchers, and ceremony participants). This information can be found in the Volunteer Information Package for each specific event.
- Ability to create a welcoming environment for competitors, team personnel, media and spectators.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to perform varying levels of manual labour.
- Background in figure skating and knowledge of the sport an asset.
- Previous experience at Skate Canada events or with major international events.
- Advanced computer application skills – Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to handle sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and high-energy environment.
- Ability to deal with unexpected and difficult situations.
- Language skills – ability to work in English, French and other languages is an asset.
Skills specific to volunteer positions can be found in the Volunteer Information Packages.
The volunteer recruitment process will begin in the summer months with the online volunteer application launch.
- Application at Skate Canada website: from May/June until specified deadline dates, or until all positions have been filled. No new applicants will be accepted following the online application deadlines.
- Confirmation: Your application form was successfully submitted if you received the bounce-back confirmation email. All applicants will then be notified of their application status within 21 business days following successful completion of their online application.
Volunteers will work in all the official event sites.
- Competition and practice venues
- Official hotel(s)
Please note, however that due to constant changes of requirements with the events, the role and/or venue you have been assigned to may change in the lead up to the event. Where this is required, we will give as much notification as possible. There also may be times on-site at the event where you are asked to assist in another volunteer area if volunteer needs change.
To ensure that the events will run smoothly and successfully, the following number of volunteers will be recruited for each event.