(December 27, 2008) – In 2008, the Georgetown Skating Club (GSC) turned 50 years old! Throughout the year, GSC, which is 60km west of Toronto, took several special opportunities to celebrate this wonderful accomplishment. Some of the initiatives they organized to keep the celebration going strong included:
- 2nd Annual Skate-a-thon
- Ice Show with interactive videos and skating to movies from the past 50 years
- 2nd Annual GSC Awards Banquet
- 5 athletes were recognized by the Town of Halton Hills for their Skate Canada test achievements and provincial and national championship accomplishments in synchronized skating (Laura Malatesta, Kaitlyn Ford, Haleigh Rees, Madison Kelly and Bethany Rees)
- Special Athlete Coach Seminar with Christopher Mabee and Tugba Karadimar
- 2008 Skates Alive competition, hosting 400 skaters from the Midway Area West skating clubs including Acton, Brampton-Chingcuacousy, Dufferin-Peel, Elora, Fergus, Georgetown, Hillsburgh, Milton, Orangeville, Shelburne and Streetsville-Meadowvale.
GSC and the Central Ontario section executed these great activities with the support of an amazing group of volunteer Board Members that give so generously of their time and expertise to coordinate this ambitious undertaking. Throughout the year, the GSC has also received special greetings from Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Premier Dalton McGuinty, MPs, MPPs and the local Mayor. In addition to all this great recognition, the Club has also been nominated as the Sport Club of the Month by the Town of Halton Hills for hosting the 2008 Skates Alive and for reaching their 50th Anniversary milestone.
Thanks to the team at Georgetown Skating Club for sharing their story. Congratulations to a successful 50 years and best of luck on the next 50 and beyond!