(April 29, 2008)
The Mariposa School of Skating’s 19th annual charity gala will take place Thursday August 7, 2008 at 7 pm at the Barrie Molson Centre in Barrie, Ont. Proceeds from this year’s gala will go to the Rotary House and the future Simcoe-Muskoka Regional Cancer Centre.
The 2008 gala will include Mariposa’s very own Jeff Buttle who was crowned World Champion at the 2008 ISU World Figure Skating Championships in Sweden on March 22 and Olympic and World Pair Champions Jamie Salé and David Pelletier.
Other performers scheduled to perform include:
- Anabelle Langlois and Cody Hay – 2008 Canadian Senior Pair Champions and 8th at the 2008 World Figure Skating Championships
- Jennifer Robinson – six-time Canadian Champion, World and Olympic competitor
- Chris Mabee – 2007 Canadian Men’s Silver medalist
- Tugba Karademir – 2008 Turkish Champion, Olympic and World competitor
- Kelsey McNeil – 2008 Canadian Junior Women’s Champion
- Monica Pisotta and Michael Stewart – 2008 Canadian Junior Pair Champions and 8th at the 2008 World Junior Championships
- Karen Routhier and Eric Saucke-Lacelle – 2008 Canadian Junior Dance Silver medalists and 10th at the 2008 World Junior Championships
- Sophie Knippel and Andrew Britten – 2008 Canadian Junior Dance Bronze medalists
- Jackson Wood – 2008 Canadian Novice Men’s Champion
- Maddison Bird and Raymond Schultz – 2008 Canadian Novice Pair Bronze medalists
- Alexandra Paul and Jason Cheperdak – 2008 Canadian Novice Dance Bronze Champions
- Ice Men Male Synchronized Skating Team – performing for breast cancer research
The gala has raised close to $900,000 since 1990. All these funds were directed to local charity projects that are supported by the Rotary Club of Barrie-Huronia and the Mariposa School of Skating.
Tickets are $35 for adults and $20 for seniors and children under 12 and can be purchased through Ticketmaster (www.ticketmaster.ca) or at the Barrie Molson Centre box office.
For more information go to www.mariposagala.info